Senior commander of the elite IRGC Qods (Jerusalem) Force, interrogator and torturer in IRGC’s Internal Security department, mayor of the northwestern towns of Maku and Khoy 1989-1993, Governor General of Ardebil Province in 1994, mayor of Tehran April 2003 - June 2005, President since August 2005
Charges and criminal record
1. Ahmadinejad was a mastermind of the occupation of the US embassy in Tehran in 1979.
2. As an executioner in the notorious Evin Prison , he personally gave the coup de grace to 1,300 political prisoners, for which he was given the nick name, “The Terminator.”
Thousands of political prisoners were executed in Evin prison in the bloody purge of the 1980s.
3. As Governor General of Ardebil Province in northwestern Iran, Ahmadinejad led the ruthless crackdown and killing of dissidents in the province.
4. He commanded the team assigned to carry out Khomeini’s anti-Islamic and inhuman fatwa to murder the British author Salman Rushdie.
5. During the 1980 crackdown on universities, under the banner of “Islamic Cultural Revolution,” Ahmadinejad played a crucial role in purging dissident lecturers and students many of whom were arrested and later executed.
6. Ahmadinejad was a senior commander of the IRGC elite Qods (Jerusalem) Force in charge of for “extraterritorial operations,” a euphemism for terrorist attacks outside Iran. He masterminded a series of assassinations in the Middle East and Europe, including the assassination of Iranian Kurdish leader Abdorrahman Qassemlou who was shot dead by senior officers of the Revolutionary Guards in a Vienna apartment in July 1989. Ahmadinejad was a key planner of the attack according to sources within the Revolutionary Guards. He was in charge of the backup team and provided the weapons and ammunition to the hit-team which actually carried out the killing.
7. Ahmadinejad directed the formation of hit squads and Hezbollah patrols to clamp down on the youth for “improper veiling and conduct”